Monday, January 26, 2009

I Think She's Got It!


Emma has always been my child who enjoys playing more than sitting (unless it's in front of the TV or computer.) :) Abby was shy and quiet as a toddler and preschooler (not sure what happened to that!), so I worked on so many things with her even as a baby. We watched a home video of her at the age of 9 months not too long ago, and she could identify all the shapes - yes, even a hexagon, octagon, and trapezoid. First child, I know, so I did have much more time to spend with her. Abby has always been eager to learn. Emma, not so much. But, socially, she is ahead of where Abby was at this age. So, I guess it all balances out.

Abby was reading pretty well when she started Kindergarten. I thought she was in great shape. Little did I know, that everyone else at our school was also reading in Kindergarten - and writing. I know what to expect this time around. Emma hasn't been very interested in learning to read. I try...I really do. But, I also know that starting next year, there will be no more playing at home, getting to do playdates, going for walks to the park with me, and spending an afternoon playing Princess Checkers. So, I try to cherish this time.

The past few weeks, I've been getting out our "Bob Books." If you aren't familiar with them, they are great! I swear they helped Abby learn to read. Well, boy was I surprised when she proceeded to read the entire book to me! Where did she learn that? We had worked on this particular book before, so I figured she had just memorized it. So, I went to the next level up, and she read that one to me as well. Wow! Where did this little reader come from? Granted, there are words she still needs help with, but I think she's got great strategies for decoding and comprehension and will be ready for Kindergarten next August. I hope she continues to read with me, and she will progress even more by next fall.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Way to go, Abby!

Julie said...

Excellent for Emma!

Would you mind coming over and working on letters with Brendan? We are working on the letter "P" this week. I could use the help. :)