Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ready, Set, Go!

Saturday turned out to be quite a busy day for the Butler household. The morning started out early with me participating in the Neighborhood 5K run. Since it was my first 5K since early in college, I was a little anxious about how I would do. All in all, it went well. I finished in 23:20. Not sure yet where that puts me in my 'age group' but by my estimate it was about 10th overall. Considering last week was the first time I stretched my normal 2 mile run into 3.2 miles, I'm quite pleased. Below you will see that I had a wonderful cheering section along my run.


Next up, we decided to head out to the Dallas Zoo. It was a beautiful day and we had never been to the Dallas Zoo, so we thought we would give it a try. So we packed up our lunches and headed out. We got there around 10a and were surprised at how few people were there. We are used to the Fort Worth Zoo and how busy it gets. It seems that the Dallas Zoo doesn't have quite enough parking, but there was never a problem of getting right up to an exhibit to look at the animals. First, the girls checked out the pony rides in the children's area. They thought it was really fun.


The zoo was very clean with lots of big, shady trees and not at all crowded on a gorgeous spring day. We ventured around and checked out all the other animals. The only negative I could find with the Zoo is that they didn't seem to have a lot of 'animals'. Maybe one or two per pen. Maybe it just seemed that way because it's technically the largest Zoo in Texas (per wikipedia).


After lunch we headed over to the Wilds of Africa section and took the trip around the monorail. Once again, lots of land and habitats, but just not a lot of animals. I guess they could all still be hibernating? Anyway, we found the Penguins which were in their pen singing some kind of song.


Finally, we headed out. As if my legs weren't killing me enough, we decided to head up to lifetime for a 'light' workout. The girls pretty much had their pick of activities in the child center because there was hardly anyone there. Then it was burgers and dogs on the grill for a family dinner on our back patio.

To cap off the day, we thought we would try to bribe the girls with ice cream if they would listen and take some bluebonnet pictures. So, after seeing pictures of our friends, we thought we would head on over and snap a few. We should have known that with all the activities from the day that the girls would be less than willing. After snapping a zillion pics, we did find a couple 'moments in time' that turned out ok...



Of course, the evening ended with a thud watching the Mavericks play the second half like they were sleepwalking. Is it bed time yet?

3 comments:

Julie said...

Love the bluebonnet pictures!
The girls look so adorable.

Good info about the Dallas zoo.

Way to go Brian.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Wow, you guys really packed a lot into one day! I'm tired just reading it.

Good job on the run, Brian!

Unknown said...

What a fun mom you are. Love the run idea. I should try to do that again. Then again maybe I should just cheer you on your next one.