
Abby has been asking for an American Girl Doll since last Christmas. Since I had bought all of her Christmas presents when she began pleading for this doll, I told her maybe for her birthday. Well, her birthday is only a week away, and we gave her the option of having a friend birthday party or getting the American Girl doll. At $100 for this doll, we felt like doing both was a little over the top. Some people may think this is odd, but we really struggle with trying not to overindulge our children. We don't want them to think that the community we live in is the "real world", which is really tough to do. Sure, we could have spent the money on the party and the doll, but we opted not to. So, she decided on the doll.
Luckily, they have recently built an American Girl Store in Dallas - it is not as large as the New York and Chicago stores, but it was so much fun! I was secretly excited to visit the store, and Brian and Emma stayed behind (try explaining to a 4 year old that she can't have a new doll). The Dallas store has all the American Girl dolls, MANY accessories and clothes, as well as a hair salon (for your doll) and an upstairs bistro where you can have lunch with your doll sitting next to you in her own little chair. To me, it was every little girls' fantasy world. And, the look on Abby's face when the cashier took her doll out of the box and placed her in her hands was one I'll remember. Abby had already named her doll months ago and spent some time this weekend making signs and a bed for her "Gabby" doll to sleep in. So much fun!!!
3 comments:
Oh how fun. I am wondering if Ellisyn will want one. We haven't been yet. Happy Birthday Abby.
How wonderful.
On Sunday, Kaitlyn came home telling me that Abby was getting a $100 American Girl doll. She wanted to know exactly what that was.
Sounds like Abby was very excited about getting this special doll.
I think that's great that you had Abby make the choice between a party or the doll. I'm sure she was happy with her choice - I love that store/bistro! Such a fun, dreamy place for little and big girls alike! Happy Birthday, Abby!
Post a Comment