Sunday, August 10, 2008

Roller Skating Fun

Abby went to a Roller Skating Birthday Party LAST summer; she had never been skating before. She spent most of the party with a death grip on the railing and tears in her eyes. My heart broke for her; how can a kid not know how to roller skate? I assumed she'd catch on very quickly. I don't remember struggling to learn to roller skate, but perhaps I did. Some of my fondest memories as a kid are of being at the roller skating rink with my Jordache jeans on jammin' to Kool and the Gang, "Celebrate Good Times." I vowed last summer that we would work on learning to roller skate. Fast forward one year later, with only 2 weeks of summer to go, we finally return to the roller skating rink (how does the time go by so fast?). Abby did much better this year. She cautiously ventured away from the railing, and I can see that if we took her on a regular basis, she would get the hang of it.


Emma tried roller skating for the first time today. She was very excited. However, when she stood up in her skates and realized it wasn't easy, the tears started flowing. She calmed down though when I took her to the carpet to practice (much easier than the slippery floor). She was getting the hang of it on the carpet and ventured out with Brian (holding firmly to his hand) to the actual skating rink floor, but didn't get much more brave than that.


Perhaps they will do better next summer...

2 comments:

Julie said...

Tell Abby to call Kaitlyn when she wants to roller skate again.
Kaitlyn looooves to skate, actually roller blade like all the cool "older" kids! :)

Looks like you had fun

Paula Mathews said...

My boys are in the same boat. Nathan could get the hang of it if he had some practice. Brandon still needs a little more time to get it.