I attended Emma's preschool Christmas party on Friday (which would be my last Christmas party for a child in preschool) :( Honestly, it was the strangest school party I've been to in my 5 years of having children in school. Her room mom was the room mom in both of her boys' classes; however, they are in 2 different classrooms down the hall from each other (I would highly discourage any mom from doing this). (On a side note, I had e-mailed the room mom and asked her how I could help, but I never got a reply).
So, the kids ate pizza and had juice boxes. After that, the room mom placed a plate of oatmeal and a plate of glitter (yes, a full plate of glitter) on the tables and gave each child a bag to make reindeer food. The only instructions were, "Put some oatmeal and glitter in your ziploc bag." Then, the room mom disappeared (obviously to go to her other son's classroom). As you can imagine, the kids were using their hands and taking generous amounts of oatmeal and glitter and attempting to make them land in their baggies. The room was a disaster.
Once the boys began wrestling and the teacher's aide had to blow her whistle in the room, one of the moms started playing musical chairs. Kids were running and pushing...not good. A chair got pulled out from under Emma, and she fell on the ground and cried. I ended up holding her for the next 10 minutes. Granted, she has a cold/allergies and had been rubbing her eyes and nose raw that day. So, it didn't take much to set her off into tears.
The room mom still wasn't back, so the same mom in charge of musical chairs asked them to all line up and they started singing songs from their Christmas program. At this point (12:40 - the party was scheduled to be from 12:00-1:00) the room mom ran back in the room looking very frazzled and said we could all leave when we were ready to go. We were...so, we left just in time to see the room mom running back down the hall to her other son's classroom.
2 comments:
Wow, that does sound crazy!
Double room mom is insane ... and, as a teacher, you must have cringed when you saw that plate of glitter! Yikes.
Post a Comment