Sunday, January 27, 2008

Germs, Germs, Go Away!


My household is sick right now...Brian woke up Thursday morning with aches, pains, a cough, and a fever. I sent him to the dr. thinking he had the flu...the flu test was negative, and he got some antibiotics. Brian rarely ever gets sick, and this really seemed to come out of nowhere. He continued to feel pretty miserable until Saturday, but he is still coughing and says he has a terrible earache. Abby woke me up at 3:00 this morning with this horrible barking cough. She was crying, and her head was burning up. This morning, Emma and I went on to church. Abby was coughing so much that she actually vomited. Brian did 2 breathing treatments with her, but I suggested before leaving to church that he take her to the First Choice Emergency Clinic. We took Emma there when she broke her arm, and they were fantastic. So, she got right in and the flu test was positive. And, yes, the next question everyone asks (even the dr.), "Did she get a flu shot?" Yes, I have always been a firm believer in getting the flu shot, although I haven't gotten one the past few years, my kids always do. Abby and Emma actually did the flu mist this year instead of the shot. The nurse said it was supposed to be even more effective and have a longer lasting immunity than the traditional flu shot, but who knows? So, now she is taking Tamiflu in hopes of a speedier recovery.

I have been going a hundred miles an hour trying to keep our household running. I do seasonal work (Sept. - April) for a high school reunion company. I locate people for their high school reunions and am able to work from home when the kids go to bed at night. It's a lot of internet searching, but it really is easy money. This is my really busy time of year, and the lady I work for needs things done right now. So, I'm hoping and praying I don't get sick since I've got laundry piled up, a dirty house, kids that need to be taxied somewhere, and a work deadline to meet. I did share my drink with Abby yesterday...hmmm....so I'm just waiting and praying!

I also signed up to do this crazy Triclassathon Ironman Team Challenge at Lifetime. There are over 30 teams with 5 people on a team. We have to commit to taking 5 fitness classes per week with the option of doing 6 classes. And, being the type A overachieving person that I am, I got in my 6 classes last week even though I needed to be working and being a wife and mom instead. The challenge just started last week and goes up until Spring Break. My team is in it to win (although no one has told us what the winners get). If I come down with the flu, I'm afraid of letting my team down. So, I will continue to wait....and pray really hard...being sick is the worst.

Stay well and healthy!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Get Well Butler family.
Abby - we are thinking about you. Being sick is never fun.