Friday, April 4, 2008

Wild Night

We had been hearing all the warnings for several days now that Thursday night could bring the potential of thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes. So, when our weather radio went off at 3:00 a.m. and the pounding quarter-sized hail began at 3:15 a.m., we knew exactly what was going on.

Then, the scary tornado sirens began wailing - we are only a block away from our sirens, so you can't miss them. I quickly began clearing out our tornado closet (probably should have done this earlier) while Brian checked the weather on TV. I ran quickly after clearing the closet to see which child he was going to grab, and he announced the rotation they were concerned with was well past us. "Huh?" The same thing happened on Monday afternoon - our sirens went off a good 3-5 minutes after the rotation had already passed us and the potential tornado was already in the next city.

Everyone I've seen or spoken with today has the same tired look on their faces; we were all awakened at 3:15 by then hail and sirens. Luckily, it was nothing too serious other than a little roof damage from the hail. Emma slept through it all, our dog let out a little whimper from her crate, and Abby told me this morning that she woke up at 3 a.m. because it was the loudest rain she'd ever heard. Spring is definitely here in Texas!

3 comments:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Spring in Texas is scary! I agree - everyone I saw today looked tired!

Julie said...

So glad we all survived.
I really hate tornadoes.

Jennifer W said...

We had one of our cars out because we were doing spring cleaning and need to put things up in the attic. So now we have a reminder of the loudest rain ever. We did the closet run too.