Friday, December 5, 2008

KLTY Christmas Wish

KLTY is a local Christian radio station that the ol' minivan is tuned to when we aren't listening to a HSM CD or Radio Disney. Every year, I hear them reading Christmas wishes on the radio. People write in and nominate people who are in need and ask listeners to help. I usually cry every year, and every Christmas I say that I am going to help, but I never follow through. This year, I heard they would be at our local Chick-fil-A from 6-10 a.m. - and a bonus - free chicken biscuits to the first 94 people. :)

I told the kids last night what we were going to be doing today. They seemed eager to go (not sure if they were excited about the Christmas Wish part or the free biscuits)! Both of my children were up at 6:05 a.m., so it was no problem going there before school.

Once at Chick-fil-A, I was pleased to see so many people there reading through the folders. What I was most shocked by was the magnitude of wishes there were - the guy from the radio station told us there were over 10,000 wishes, and they had spent last week shredding other wishes that, for some reason or another, the radio station decided not to include. So many people in need!

It was heartbreaking to read through the folders and learn about people with so many problems. Our family decided to help the Sinclair Family. There is the mom, Debbie, who is 40 and recently diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer, the dad, Kimbell,who recently lost his job, and 4 (what seems to be) amazing teenagers. The older teenagers are working part time jobs in order to help the family with expenses, but they only have one unreliable vehicle - mom needs to be driven to chemo and kids need to go to work- quite a predicament. At this point, they aren't sure how to even put food on the table. The dad told me that his teenagers haven't even asked about Christmas presents; they know there really won't be a Christmas this year, and all they would ask is for their mom to be healed.

After doing some research (via the internet), we found out that they are actually a family that lives right here in our town. I've already e-mailed the family, and they seem very gracious for any help.

I hope this season finds you with a heart to give to others, however big or small your gift might be.

Acts 4:32, 34-35 — “All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.”

1 comment:

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

Thanks for sharing this ... last night I was thinking about what our Bunko group could do as a Christmas outreach. This family would be great to help.