Thursday, October 2, 2008

Luke Skywalker

Most of the people in our family are aware that Emma and Abby have taken a rather great interest in Star Wars. This is mainly because of the Lego Star Wars game we purchased for the Wii, and it is also due to the fact that Brian is a huge Star Wars fan.

Emma came home from school the first week saying there was a "pretend Luke" in her class. I thought she had an imaginary friend. Then, when looking at the names on the coat/backpack hooks, I spotted a "Luke". When I asked her further about this, she told me he is a pretend Luke because he's not the REAL Luke...meaning Luke Skywalker.

Last week, Emma began telling us that she has a boyfriend...yep, Luke. All the 4 year old classes at her preschool share recess time together. She has 2 of her very best friends in another class. She has attempted to get them involved as well chasing Luke at recess. Her friend, Jordyn, told her mom that "Emma has a boyfriend named Luke, but I don't know why she likes that Luke."


Emma has been asking me if we can invite Luke over to our house. She even drew out a map which "showed" him the way to get to our house. She makes him notes and cards every day. She asked me yesterday what our phone number is. I was impressed thinking she was being responsible and eager to learn. When I asked her why she needed to learn it, she responded, "So I can tell Luke and then he can call me."


Tonight, during our bedtime prayers, she prayed for Luke and asked God to please let her see him at school tomorrow. After the prayer, she asked, "Mom, does Luke love me?" I couldn't help but get teary-eyed wondering how many times I'll hear that phrase from her with just a different boy's name inserted in the question. Emma makes me laugh on a daily basis....I am so thankful God blessed us with our little firecracker.

6 comments:

In His Grip said...

You should have a party with Jenny.

Jenny said...

Yes, we are living similar lives... lots of Star Wars and first loves. Our prayers are about Emily- the beautiful red-head. While it's so cute and sweet I know there will be a time when there is also heartache. Next time we watch Star Wars we need to have you all over. We'll leave the dads and kids together and we can sneak off to go shopping or something. :-)

Julie said...

Girl, you are in so much trouble.

Brian better start practicing what he will do to scare the boys away each time he opens the front door to a handsome boy there to see Emma!

Paula Mathews said...

This story cracked me up and made me want to cry all at the same time! I think it's so sweet that she's in love. And, you are right, how many times will you hear that question with *insert boy's name here*?

Brian said...

We have learned that Emma has many 'boyfriends' in her class. It seems that she is using the term loosely to describe boys in her class that are her friends (including Hayden, who plays on Carter's soccer team).

I am starting to save up money to get a shotgun at Wal-mart though... just in case.

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

How did I miss this post? That's hilarious!!!